This Disneyland smoked turkey legs recipe is a favorite snack at the theme park, so I decided to make my own version at home.
If you want the style of Disneyland’s smoked turkey legs, be sure to ask your butcher for Tom turkey legs. The ones used at the park are 1 1/2 pound legs that come from 40-50 pound turkeys! The park sells over a million and a half of their Disneyland smoked turkey legs every year!
Before you begin, be sure to remove the four tendons in the turkey legs. You can cut around the ankle and pull out the 4 large tendons with pliars.
OK, here’s how to make smoked turkey legs using a simple brine and a delicious dry rub. Watch my video and print out the recipe below!
Disneyland’s Smoked Turkey LegsRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 4-6 turkey legs Tom turkey legs preferred
- BBQ Dry Rub for seasoning legs
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup seasoned meat tenderizer
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1/2 tablespoon red Hawaiian clay sea salt or regular kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- Peppercorns as desired
- 8 cups cold water
- Remove the four tendons in the turkey legs. You can cut around the ankle and pull out the 4 large tendons with pliars.
- Mix together all of the brine ingredients, and add the 8 cups of cold water last. Put two turkey legs each in a large Ziploc bag and cover with the brine. You will have enough brine to make about 6 turkey legs.
- Zip tight and place in a large casserole dish and let sit overnight in the refrigerator, up to 12 hours or so. Be sure the brine is touching the legs, and you can turn them around once in a while during the brining stage to ensure complete coverage.
- The next day, set your smoker to about 220 F. Drain the legs from the brine, rinse the legs lightly under cool running water, and pat dry.
- Season with your favorite dry rub. I used my BBQ dry rub, which tasted amazing on the turkey legs.
- Smoke for about 4 hours at 225 F, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 F. When you remove the turkey legs, it will continue to cook up to the proper 165 F.
- For crispier skin like Disney, crank up the heat to 325 F for the last 30 minutes.