This grilled sourdough breakfast sandwich is a weekend staple in our home. In fact, when my wife was pregnant she ate this almost every single day — no joke!
Although you can easily get these from your local fast food joint, nothing beats homemade. I make my breakfast sandwiches with San Francisco sourdough bread, thinly sliced Cheddar or American cheese, and plenty of hot sauce. The meat fillings change depending on what we have on hand. Sometimes we use bacon, vegan sausage patties, and even turkey.
Watch my latest Chef Tips videos!
A good hot sauce is also key to my grilled sourdough breakfast sandwich recipe. Marie Sharp’s Habanero Hot sauce is our favorite. Some other contenders include Tapatio, Cholula, and Texas Champagne Cayenne Pepper Sauce.
If you want to make something more unique, use a donut or waffle instead of the sourdough. You can also make this with bagels, English muffins or croissants. Be sure to have your pan on medium-high heat so the cheese can melt thoroughly, and the crust can get a nice crusty golden brown.
If you like this recipe, you’re sure to love this Eggslut Breakfast Sandwich!
Grilled Sourdough Breakfast SandwichRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 6 slices bacon
- Butter softened
- 4 slices cheese
- 2 eggs
- Hot sauce Marie Sharp's Habanero Hot Sauce, Tapatio, Cholula, and Texas Champagne are our favorites
- Using room temperature butter, spread butter across each slice of bread.Cook bacon and drain.
- Scramble and cook two eggs, dividing them into two separate patties.
- Place cheese on bread. Top with bacon, sliced cheese and cooked scrambled egg. Be sure to have your pan on medium-high heat so the cheese can melt thoroughly, and the crust can get a nice crusty golden brown.
- Turn after 3 minutes, after the crust gets golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce.