Today we’re at Disneyland in New Orleans Square, which is famous for their Monte Cristo Sandwich!
The Disneyland Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe was created in 1966 at the Blue Bayou Restaurant, but its origins go back to about 1910 in Paris, when the Croque Monsieur was first served.
The croque monsieur is made with white bread, ham and gruyere cheese. It is then fried in clarified butter to a golden brown and served with a salad or French onion soup. Add a fried egg on top, and you have a Croque Madame. These delicious sandwiches are still served in Parisian cafes.
Blue Bayou’s Monte Cristo sandwich is filled with sliced ham, turkey and Swiss cheese, and then fried in a rich batter. The finishing touch is a generous dollop of fresh raspberry or blackberry jam. Costing about $28 (or about $21 at Cafe Orleans), it makes sense to make Disneyland’s Monte Cristo Sandwich at home and save money. In fact, for the price of just two sandwiches, I was able to buy myself a new deep fryer to make this recipe!
At Disneyland’s Cafe Orleans, the Monte Cristo Sandwich is available vegetarian style — made with Swiss, Brie and Mozzarella cheeses.
Serve this Disneyland Monte Cristo Sandwich recipe with a side of garlic fries. It’s certainly rich enough to share between two people! This deep fried sandwich weighs in at about 1,122 calories!
Disneyland Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 3 cups canola oil for frying
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Sandwich
- 8 slices artisan bread, challah or brioche
- 8 thin slices Black forest ham
- 8 thin slices deli turkey
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- Powdered sugar as needed
- Raspberry, blackberry or marionberry preserves to your taste
- Fresh red grapes or strawberries for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the water, egg, flour, salt and baking powder until it becomes smooth and like pancake batter.
- Preheat your deep fryer to 365 F. Alternatively you can heat a large deep frying pan with about 1 inch of canola oil until it reaches the same temperature.
- Layer your sandwich with one slide of bread, 2 slices ham, 2 slices turkey and 2 slices of Swiss (or make your vegetarian version by subbing the brie, Swiss and Mozzarella).
- When the oil is hot, deep the sandwich into the batter, let the excess drip off, then place in the oil. Cook until each side becomes golden brown.
- Remove from oil, set on plate with paper towels to drain, and the top with powdered sugar and serve with berry jam.