This Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe is made extra rich with the addition of Guinness Stout. If you don’t want to use beer, you can use chicken broth. Just remember to omit the sugar since it’s meant to counteract the bitterness of the Guinness Stout.
When you are ready to make this delicious Corned Beef and Cabbage, just throw everything in the slow cooker and let it stew for 8-10 hours. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 4 pounds corned beef brisket
- 3 Tb. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar Start with 1/4 cup and add to taste as it stews
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup parsnips chopped and peeled
- 12 baby onions peeled
- 15 small mixed fingerling potatoes red, yellow, purple
- 14.9 oz. Guinness stout or chicken broth
- 1 head cabbage cored and cut into small wedges
- Chop and measure out all ingredients.
- Cover corned beef brisket with mustard and brown sugar. Place in a large Crock Pot or slow cooker. Arrange carrots, parsnips, baby onions and potatoes around brisket and cover with the Guinness Stout.
- Heat everything, covered, on low for 8-10 hours. During the 9th or last hour of cooking, add the cabbage wedges and allow to soften to your desired texture.
- If using Guinness, give it a taste with a spoon and add a bit more brown sugar if it seems bitter. But the flavors will mellow.
- When ready to serve, remove corned beef and let sit on a cutting board about 10 minutes before slicing. Then, cut into slices against the grain. Serve in a bowl with the cabbage, veggies and a bit of broth.