This stuffed Italian chicken breast recipe uses Italian and Mediterranean ingredients for an easy dinner when company comes over!
This delicious Italian stuffed chicken is filled with a puree of mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and kalamata olives. It’s topped with mozzarella cheese, and then rolled, sautéed and baked for the ultimate weeknight or weekend meal.
Think of it as an Italian take on Chicken Cordon Bleu!
Serve this with fresh cooked pasta or rice, along with your favorite veggies on the side.
Stuffed Italian Chicken BreastRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup jarred sundried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided use
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano optional
- 3 tablespoons shaved parmesan optional
- Fettucine boiled and strained
- Preheat pan to medium high. Add 2 Tb. olive oil and add the whole mushrooms. Cover with a lid and steam until the mushrooms cook down slightly and release their juices, about 5 minutes. Add the kalamata olives and sundried tomatoes. Cook down a few more minutes, and then add everything to the food processor with a little salt and pepper. Pulse until combined, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut each breast of chicken in half lengthwise.
- Lay down sheet of plastic wrap, add the chicken, and top with another sheet of plastic wrap. Pound out the chicken breasts with a mallet until they are as thin as possible.
- Drizzle chicken pieces with more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture on top of each chicken breast. Top with sliced mozzarella. Roll and secure with toothpicks.
- Place a saute pan on medium high heat. Drizzle olive oil into the pan and sear the chicken rolls until browned on each side, a few minutes on each side.
- Place in 350 F oven for about 18-20 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
- Let cool, and remove toothpicks.
- Serve on a nest of cooked fettucine, topped with herbs and fresh grated parmesan. Enjoy!