With its rolling green hills, vine-covered terrain and cool ocean breezes, Temecula is a romantic country escape. Driving along Rancho California Road, located right off I-15, majestic stone manors such as Thornton, Spanish ranchos like Mount Palomar and big Western barns like Ponte compete for your attention — and your wine tasting buds.
One of the best ways to experience Temecula wine country is through its barrel tastings, where you can visit each participating winery and sample wines straight from the barrel or tank. Specially prepared gourmet foods compliment the wines. Each winery’s tasting room is generally open from 10-5 daily. A souvenir glass is usually included with each paid tasting. If you plan on visiting more than one winery during your stay, it’s wise to invest in a full-day chauffeur service.
This chicken croissant recipe, from the now-closed Filsinger Winery, was one of many delicious dishes we experienced during one of our tours. Thanks to Kathy Filsinger for sharing the recipe!
Filsinger Winery’s Honey-Dijon Chicken Croissant Sandwich
- 8 chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs with cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons mixed poultry spices
- 8 small croissants sliced in half
- 1 jar Honey-Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 10 medium green olives with pimentos finely chopped
- Clean chicken; dry slightly.
- Place bread crumbs, garlic powder and spices in a container. Roll chicken lightly in mixture.
- Put vegetable oil in bottom of frying pan, just to cover. Fry chicken about 10 minutes each side, being careful not to overcook.
- Line a 8×10 pan with sliced croissants. Line with a chicken tender between sliced croissants. Put about 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard over the chicken, then some cheese and about 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped olives.
- Place in oven for about 10-15 minutes to melt cheese.