This homemade hot chocolate mix recipe is a decadent winter drink, especially when dressed up with some whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Did you know that hot chocolate dates back to the Mayan period? In its purest form, it was made with corn meal, chiles and water and was used for sacred ceremonies.
This hot chocolate mix recipe will blow away any of those store bought packets and it comes together in a snap!
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup good quality semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings for garnish
- Heat milk, cream and sugar and whisk in a sauce pot over high heat until it almost reaches a boil. Next, add 1 cup good quality semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Whisk until melted. Next, add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot chocolate into your favorite mug. Top with whipped cream and freshly grated chocolate.