This Mexican breakfast bowl recipe is a hearty and flavorful dish that will give you plenty of fuel to start your day! It’s chock full of bold flavors like tomatillo sauce, pickled red onions, tangy Cotija cheese and cilantro for a delicious South-of-the-border flavor combination.
Mexican Breakfast Bowl Ingredients
You can make this breakfast bowl with homemade or store-bought ingredients. I highly recommend making my homemade tomatillo sauce as the base for this recipe, but you can also buy your favorite green salsa for a quick preparation. (I recommend 505 Southwestern Flame Roasted Hatch Green Chiles).
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- Tortilla chips (I like Calidad Mexican Restaurant Style, shown below)
- Tomatillo sauce or green chile salsa, homemade or store-bought
- Crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- 1 fried egg
- Pickled red onions (optional but delicious)
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
Making the Breakfast Bowl
To prepare your bowl, get all of your ingredients together and begin layering the dish. I like to put the chips on the bottom, followed by the tomatillo sauce or green salsa and fried egg. Then just sprinkle the bowl with your desired amount of pickled red onions cilantro, Cotija cheese and sour cream.
I hope you enjoy this Mexican Breakfast Bowl recipe! If you do, please consider rating and commenting below!
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Full English Breakfast
- Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich
- Hawaiian Breakfast
- Costa Rican Gallo Pinto Breakfast
- Loaded Breakfast Quesadilla
Stay in Touch!
Mexican Breakfast BowlRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
Pickled Red Onions (Optional)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
Make the Pickled Red Onions
- This ingredient is optional but adds nice flavor. Whisk vinegar, sugar, salt and water in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place onion in a jar and top with the vinegar mixture. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Chill, and drain onions before using.
- Fry an egg in butter to your desired doneness.
- Place tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl.
- Heat the tomatillo sauce or green Hatch Chile salsa.
- Layer green salsa over the chips, followed by the crumbled Cotija cheese. Top with the fried egg and garnish with pickled red onions, cilantro leaves and sour cream.
CookingSessions.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.