This tomato toast recipe is a classic. It’s one of our favorite things to make with fresh summer tomatoes!
If you’ve never grown your own tomatoes, you’re missing out on one of summer’s biggest treats! Juicy, meaty and full of flavor, nothing beats a vine-ripened tomato grown right in your own garden.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh home-grown tomatoes is with this tomato toast recipe. Make it on a toasted bagel or sourdough, spread with cream cheese and sprinkled with a little white pepper and Maldon sea salt. It’s great for breakfast, afternoon snacks, or late-night munchies!
Fresh California tomatoes are at the peak of flavor from May to December. Ripe red tomatoes should be completely red or reddish-orange, have a sweet subtle aroma and give slightly when pressed gently with the palm.
It’s important to store your tomatoes at room temperature. Refrigerating tomatoes causes them to lose their flavor and change texture.
Tomato Toast (or Bagels)Recipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 2 Sourdough slices or fresh cut bagels
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 4 yellow or red tomato slices
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Toast bagel or sourdough. Spread with Neufchatel or cream cheese. Top with sliced tomatoes and season to taste with white pepper and salt.