This Mexican tomatillo sauce recipe goes well on Huevos Rancheros, in chicken tamales, over taquitos and with chicken enchiladas. After roasting tomatillos in the oven, place them in the blender or food processor with the rest of the ingredients. This roasted tomatillo sauce recipe also works well as a green salsa (salsa verde) with fresh made tortilla chips. Hope you enjoy it!
Tomatillo SauceRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 20 fresh tomatillos
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 onion peeled and halved
- 3 serrano chile peppers stemmed
- 1-2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock optional
- 1 cup roasted green chiles
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Peel off the papery husks from tomatillos and rinse. Transfer to a sheet pan.
- Add garlic, onion and serrano chiles to the pan.
- Drizzle with a little canola oil and sprinkle of salt. Roast for about 20 minutes.
- Remove roasted items and place in a Dutch oven. Let stew over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add everything to a food processor, along with 1 cup roasted green chiles. You can also add about 1/2 cup of chicken stock to add some flavor. Puree 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with your favorite Mexican recipes, such as huevos rancheros.
- Makes 10-12 servings