This Loaded Potato Soup Recipe is the perfect comfort food this winter — chock full of chunky russet and red potatoes, onions, carrots and celery. Some people call this a loaded baked potato soup, but the potatoes aren’t actually baked.
We’re topping this creamy potato soup with a heart-stopping handful of bacon bits, green onions and grated cheese for that extra bit of decadence. Feel free to experiment by adding other ingredients such as shredded chicken, roasted corn, or anything else that sounds good to you!
The base of this recipe is a Mirepoix, which is a French term for two parts onion, one part celery, and one part carrots. This is one of the essential ingredients in many soups, and a great technique and recipe to have in your cooking arsenal.
Bacon is also one of this soup’s key ingredients. To make it easier to chop the bacon, be sure to freeze it slightly beforehand. You will be amazed at how this simple step makes your chopping easier for the recipe.
Loaded Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 large red potatoes diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 pound slightly frozen bacon diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Fresh cracked pepper, Monterey Jack and Shredded Cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits and minced green onion
- Dice all of your vegetables, placing the potatoes in a bowl of cold water so they don’t brown.
- Add bacon to stockpot over medium heat. Cook 10 minutes until crispy. Remove bacon with slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Add onion, celery and carrots to the pot. Cook until soft and translucent. Add strained potatoes. Cook down for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour. Whisk into the mixture.
- Add half of the bacon bits to the pot, along with the chicken broth. Season with some salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the pot and simmer for 25 minutes. Smash the potatoes slightly to give the soup more texture.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir, simmering another 8 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls.
- Top with fresh cracked pepper, Monterey Jack and Shredded Cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits and minced green onion.