This creamy smoked gouda potato soup recipe is one of our family’s favorite winter comfort foods.
If you can’t find smoked gouda, a steakhouse secret to that creamy texture is a processed cheese such as Velveeta.
Creamy Smoked Gouda Potato SoupRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 stick 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 6 small red potatoes diced and reserved in cold water to prevent browning
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 diced celery stalks
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Turn stock pot on medium high. Melt butter. Add celery, onion, carrots. Cook down until onions are transluscent. Add basil and garlic-shallot puree. After 3 minutes, add potatoes and stir another 3 minutes.
- Carefully pour in 6 cups chicken broth. Boil for 20 minutes, then stir in a roux made from 4 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons butter.
- Wait a few minutes for the soup to thicken slightly. Add cream. Whisk and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Slowly stir in cheese and melt it down. After cheese is melted, pour into bowls and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper.