Today I’m making what many people have called the best grilled cheese recipe in the world – Borough Market’s Grilled Cheese Toastie from Kappacasein on Stoney Street, London!
This legendary London cheese shop is known around the globe for their toasted cheese sandwiches, made with a mixture of Ogleshield raclette, Comte (a French Gruyere) and aged English cheddar cheese. But what makes this Grilled Cheese Toastie really unique is its filling of five different types of chopped onions!
Borough Market’s Grilled Cheese Toastie
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Butter as needed
- 8 ounces English Cheddar Cheese grated
- 8 ounces Comte or Gruyere cheese, grated
- Onion Mixture:
- 1/4 cup diced leeks
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1/4 cup diced chives
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Butter sourdough slices from edge to edge. Mix shredded cheeses with diced onions.
- Pile a generous amount of the shredded onion-cheese mixture onto the non-buttered side of the bread.
- Slowly grill the sandwiches on both sides until crispy and golden, and the cheese has melted inside.