This Tri Tip Sandwich recipe is my favorite tailgating food. I marinate the meat the day before in a Ziploc bag, filled with olive oil and spices.
When you’re ready for the game, just throw the steak in the ice chest with your supplies and you’re good to go. This recipe is great sliced and eaten on its own, or put into sandwich rolls topped with grilled onions, peppers and a horseradish sauce.
For a smoky flavor, try adding some grape wood to your grill.
You can make your own horseradish sauce for the tri tip sandwich by mixing some prepared horseradish with sour cream to your taste. Serve with grilled corn on the cob.
This will feed about 10 of your hungriest friends, and you can easily double this recipe to serve more!
Tri Tip Sandwich RecipeRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 5 pounds tri tip beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic-shallot puree or crushed garlic
Tri Tip Dry Rub
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the Sandwiches
- 2 cups grilled onions and bell peppers
- Sandwich rolls toasted
- Prepared horseradish mixed with sour cream to taste
- Combine your tri tip dry rub ingredients, mixing well.
- In a Ziploc bag, mix tri tip beef with about olive oil and garlic-shallot puree. Add your dry rub mix and shake to combine.
- Let set for at least 30 minutes, or place in the refrigerator overnight until you're ready to leave for your tailgate.
- Grill over indirect heat until it’s done, about 8-10 minutes on each side. Cooking tri tip can take around 30 minutes, depending on the temperature of your grill.
- Prepare the sandwiches by toasting the bread, adding the horseradish cream sauce, grilled peppers/onions and sliced tritip.