This is the only turkey brine recipe you’ll ever need, and it’s so cheap and easy to make! This recipe for turkey brine has been my go-to for at least 15 years now, because it always yields the most delicious, moist and flavorful turkey!
An average turkey (about 20 pounds) is going to take 4 days to thaw in the refrigerator. Up to 12 pounds can take 3 days!
Brining turkey gives the bird a moist and wonderful flavor, and it’s my favorite way of cooking turkey. When planning on how many pounds of turkey you need per person, plan on 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. We all know that everyone likes leftovers, especially my mother-in-law! As a rule, you want to cook a turkey at 18-20 minutes per pound in a 325 F oven.
Best Turkey Brine Recipe
- 1 turkey thawed
- 1 clean commercial 5-gallon plastic bucket
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 small bunch fresh sage
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup kosher salt
- To start the turkey brine, I fill a clean, commercial 5-gallon plastic bucket halfway with cold water. To this, add all of the brine ingredients.
- Mix the brine well. Slowly place the whole turkey into the brine, completely submerging it in the water. Place the turkey in the refrigerator overnight. This process is very important and will add moisture and flavor to your holiday turkey.
- The next day, remove the fresh turkey from the brine (and any excess liquid) and set on a roasting rack. Cook in oven or smoker.