In this episode of “Chef Tips,” I traveled down to Laguna Beach for a Big Green Egg pizza party, complete with every imaginable toppings available!
For the base of the pizza, we used a no-knead dough and topped it with a simple Italian tomato sauce.
The antipasto platter was used for guests to make their own pizza creations.
Our pizza toppings included buffalo mozzarella, red onion, mushrooms, pecorino romano cheese, cracked green olives, capicola, black olives, salami, pepperoni, mortadella, Italian bacon, Canadian bacon, sliced garlic, hot Italian sausage, mild Italian sausage, shredded smoked pork, fresh basil, fresh homegrown tomatoes, Italian cherry peppers, slices jalapenos, and more!
The Big Green Egg is a unique smoker/grill that can reach temperatures over 600 F. It’s the perfect temperature for making homemade pizzas. If you do not have a Big Green Egg, you can make pizzas the same way by placing the pizza stone in a very hot 500 F oven or grill. At home, I use my Green Mountain Grills Pizza Oven attachment.
Use your imagination to create your own unique pizza toppings!
Big Green Egg Pizza RecipeRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 1 batch no-knead dough see my separate recipe or use prepared dough
Easy Pizza Sauce
- 28 ounces Italian San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Use your imagination! See recipe notes below
Make the Pizza Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, crush the tomatoes by hand with a sprinkling of kosher salt and a drizzle of the olive oil. Place as the base for your pizza sauce and follow with your favorite toppings!
Make the Pizza
- Roll out your pizza dough, cover with a thin layer of pizza sauce, and add your favorite toppings.
- Place the pizza stone in on the Big Green Egg, or a very hot 500 F oven or grill. Cook until hot and bubbly, about 8 minutes or so.