These cherry tomato mozzarella bites are so easy to make. They are delicious served at a summer gathering or even a holiday party. All you need are baby cherry tomatoes (red and yellow), balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, some garlic-shallot puree, fresh mozzarella and prosciutto.
Be sure to buy a mix of both yellow and red cherry tomatoes for this recipe. Combined with the green basil and white mozzarella, it makes a beautiful presentation of colors on the plate.
The key to this tomato mozzarella bites recipe is a balsamic vinegar reduction, which compliments the Italian flavors of this dish. Although I’m adding prosciutto to the skewers, you can easily make this vegetarian by omitting the meat.
Tomato & Mozzarella BitesRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 2 cups yellow and red grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic shallot puree or 2 tsp. crushed garlic
- Small bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella
- Wooden skewers
- Roll basil and cut into small slivers. Reserve a few leaves for the skewers.
- Turn burner on medium high heat. Get pan hot. Add 1 tablespoon of EVO. Heat for 1 minute or so.
- Add tomatoes to pan and saute a minute or so. Add salt and pepper, followed by garlic-shallot puree. Coat everything well. Add 1 tablespoon of basil and saute a little longer. After 2 minutes, deglaze pan with the balsamic vinegar. Reduce by half, maybe another minute.
- Remove tomatoes, and let the balsamic vinegar reduce a little longer. You don’t want the tomatoes to get mushy.
- Transfer into bowl. Drizzle with a little more olive oil.
- Dice prosciutto mozzarella into bite-size pieces.
- Build skewers with one tomato, prosciutto mozzarella pieces, and fresh basil.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve.