In this video, I’ll show you how to make smoked pork spare ribs using the 321 method. This Smoked Pork Spare Ribs recipe takes 6 hours to cook on my Green Mountain pellet grill, but you can use any kind of smoker you like.
Before starting, be sure to make a batch of BBQ Dry Rub or use your favorite blend. Plan on a full day to get the ultimate flavor from this recipe!
Be sure to watch my video to see how these smoked pork ribs are made from start to finish.
3-2-1 Smoked Pork Spare Ribs
- 3 racks pork spare ribs
- Olive oil as needed
- 1 batch BBQ Dry Rub or use your favorite rub
- 8 oz. jalapeno pepper jelly or jam
- 1 stick butter cut into tablespoon size pieces
- 1/2 cup Sugar in the raw as needed to coat ribs
- 1/2 cup apple juice (or pineapple juice or bourbon)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
Make Dry Rub
- Mix ingredients together for dry rub and set aside in a container.
Make the Ribs
- Apply olive oil and dry rub to three racks of pork spare ribs.
- Smoke ribs at 220 F on the pellet grill for 3 hours, flesh side up.
- Remove ribs from the smoker and wrap them in foil, pouring over a healthy dollop of jalapeno pepper jelly, a few dabs of butter, a sprinkling of sugar in the raw and 1/2 cup apple juice.
- Wrap them well and put them back on the smoker for another 2 hours to steam.
- After 2 hours, remove the foil, pour the marinade over the top, and add another healthy dose of dry rub.
- Put back into the smoker for another hour.