Get the Party Started: Smoked Bacon Wrapped Hot Wings
Football season, backyard barbecues, or a cozy night in – there’s never a wrong time for a platter of juicy, smoky, bacon-wrapped hot wings. Whether you’re a seasoned pitmaster or just firing up your smoker for the first time, this recipe will help you create a mouthwatering appetizer that’ll earn you legendary snack-time status.
Today, I’m pulling out my trusty Green Mountain Grillls Smoker to take these wings to a whole new level, but feel free to use your favorite smoker or even a traditional grill with a smoker box. With a few simple ingredients, some smoky magic, and a dash of spice, you’ll be serving wings so addictive they might just overshadow the main event!
What’s the Hype About Smoked Bacon Wrapped Hot Wings
Let’s be real; wings are already awesome. But here’s why wrapping them in bacon and smoking elevates them to the finger-lickin’ hall of fame:
- The Flavor Trinity: You get the succulent chicken, the smoky bacon, and infusing the chicken with a rich, smoky flavor that oven-baked wings could only dream of.
- Crispy vs. Soggy: Nobody likes a limp, soggy wing. The bacon crisps beautifully on the smoker, adding a delightful textural crunch in every bite.
- Sauce Boss: Smoked wings soak up BBQ sauce like a sponge, giving you those saucy, sticky fingers that signal a proper wing experience.
I tried this recipe with both popular hot wing sauces — Franks and Tabasco. For this particular recipe, Tabasco was the clear winner with its depth of flavor. The Franks was just too vinegary for this.
I seasoned my chicken wings with a little Bad Byron’s Butt Rub, but you can also use a small sprinkling of seasoned salt such as Lawry’s or your this homemade BBQ rub. Then, we just wrap with a half-slice of bacon and hit the smoker!
When making this recipe for smoked bacon wrapped hot wings, set your smoker to about 200 F, or you can bake these in the oven at 200-200 F, for a couple hours. These are SUPER good and your friends will suddenly be inviting themselves over hoping for more!
Serving Suggestions & Twists
- Serving is Key: Serve these wings immediately for optimal crispiness and warmth. Ranch or blue cheese dressing on the side is a crowd-pleaser.
- Flavor Variations: Explore different BBQ rubs, hot sauces, or seasonings for a unique flavor profile every time you make this recipe.
- The Main Course: These smoky wings can go beyond an appetizer! Serve them with a side of potato salad or coleslaw for a hearty meal.
Whether you’re hosting a crowd or savoring a quiet evening, these flavorful smoked bacon wrapped hot wings are sure to deliver an unforgettable experience. So, fire up those smokers and let’s transform a classic snack into an epic one!
More Smoke & Grill Recipes
- BBQ Pulled Pork
- Smoked Chicken Breasts
- Adobo Dry Rub
- Grilled Lobster Tails
- Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon
Ready for more Chef Tips?
Head over to my YouTube channel for video demonstrations of more than 300 recipes! I’ll guide you through each step, sharing tips and tricks, and revealing insider secrets gleaned from the chefs around the world. Let’s embark on more delicious adventures together! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and X!
Bacon Wrapped Hot WingsRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 12 chicken wings thawed
- 1 tablespoon Bad Byron’s Butt Rub or your favorite dry rub
- 6 pieces bacon cut in half
- 1/2 cup Tabasco Buffalo hot sauce
- 1/3 cup butter
- Sliced green onion cut on the bias (green tops only)
- Season chicken wings with butt rub or seasoned salt.
- Cut each strip of bacon in half.
- Wrap each chicken wing with a piece of bacon, covering the whole wing like a spiral.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Smoke at 220 F for about 2 hours, or in a 220 F oven.
- Over medium low heat, melt down butter and stir in hot sauce.
- Place wings in a bowl and pour over the sauce. Toss to coat.
- Serve on a platter topped with the sliced green onion. Enjoy!