When we go camping, it’s all about convenience! This hot bean dip recipe with cream cheese, refried beans, chorizo and chili is one of our favorite party pleasers — and I’m sure it will become one of yours as well!
We’ve been making variations of this bean dip since the 1990s, when our friend Mindy made it during our Sea Doo outings at Davis Camp on the Colorado River. Back then, we were tent camping, and it was so hot out that the sun would literally cook the dip before our eyes!
These days, I prefer to use my Camp Chef Flat Top Grill to cook the dip, and we made it for our Ski Club BBQ just last weekend.
Ingredients for my Bean Dip Recipe
We make this bean dip with refried beans, chili, chopped olives, diced green chiles, hot sauce (we like Cholula or Tapatio for this recipe), and diced pickled jalapeno slices for extra heat. Then, it’s topped with a generous few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese and diced green onions.
You can also make this bean dip with chorizo for added flavor. For a healthier touch, I like to use a vegan chorizo such as Soyrizo or Cacique Soy Chorizo.
Making the Hot Bean Dip
To prepare the dip, just mix all of the ingredients together, reserving the green onions and shredded cheese for garnish. Place in an 8×8 aluminum foil pan. Then, all you need to do is place it on the grill with indirect heat, cover with a melting dome, and let it get nice and hot until the cheese melts!
If you are at home, you can make this bean dip in a Crock Pot, or cook it in a casserole dish in the oven at about 350 F.
Serve with tortilla chips (we like Calidad Mexican Restaurant Style Brand) and sour cream!
More Easy Camping Recipes:
- Chorizo Queso Fundido
- Grilled Breakfast Burritos
- Loaded Breakfast Quesadilla
- S’mores Quesadillas
- Grilled Hatch Chile Relleno
Stay in Touch!
Hot Bean Dip with Cream CheeseRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 3-4 green onions diced, for garnish
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese for topping
- 6 oz. chorizo or soyrizo
- Mix all the ingredients (except garnish) together until well blended and place in a foil pan. Top with the diced green onions and shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
- Place on indirect heat on your grill and cook until hot and bubbling, and the cheese is melted.
- Alternatively, place in a Crock Pot or casserole dish and heat until hot and bubbling.
- Serve this semi-homemade bean dip with tortilla chips (we like Calidad Mexican Restaurant Style Brand) and sour cream!
CookingSessions.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.