Today we’re making a Grilled Hatch Chile Relleno recipe that’s perfect for a summer appetizer.
These grilled stuffed chile rellenos are made with a mixture of cream cheese, pepper jack cheese and cheddar cheese. We’re also adding some diced green onion and cooked bacon as a garnish.
Did you know that “chile relleno” simply means stuffed chiles? Although you often see this recipe made with an egg coating, that step is simply optional. This is a healthier, and I think, more delicious preparation of this dish!
To make these cheese stuffed hatch peppers, you’ll need about six Hatch chiles. Wash them and split them in half lengthwise into a boat shape.
Next, you’re going to stuff them with the delicious cream cheese filling. Top them with some extra shredded cheddar cheese and then grill for about 7-10 minutes on medium heat. You can also bake these in the oven at 350 F until they get soft and the cheese starts bubbling.
What is Hatch Green Chile?
Hatch chiles have a short growing season — usually between the beginning of August through the end of September. They are grown in the Hatch Valley of New Mexico, with a heat that ranges from mild to medium.
If you can’t find New Mexico Hatch Chiles, you can use Poblano chiles for this recipe, or even bell peppers if you don’t like spicy food. You can also buy canned Hatch chiles, but fresh is best for this recipe.
What’s in this Grilled Hatch Chile Relleno Recipe?
To make this cream cheese stuffed Hatch Chile relleno, you’re going to need the following ingredients:
- Fresh Hatch Chiles (or substitute Poblano chiles or even bell peppers)
- Cream cheese
- Pepper Jack cheese
- New Mexico chili powder
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Minced green onions
- Chopped cooked bacon
- Cheddar cheese
What else can I make with Hatch Chiles?
Don’t let those Hatch Chiles go to waste, especially if you have a big bag of them! If you have some leftover Hatch Chiles, roast them on the grill and then make a Hatch Chile Aioli by mixing together 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon cumin, 5 cloves minced garlic, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and 2 roasted Hatch chiles in a food processor. Season to taste with salt and enjoy as a dipping sauce for fries or even on nachos!
Other Roasted Hatch Chile recipes ideas include Hatch Chile Mac and Cheese, Hatch Chile Salsa, Bacon Smashed Hatch Chile Burgers and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas!
Let me know what you think in the comments! If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like my bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers!
Stay in Touch!
Grilled Hatch Chile RellenoRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 6 Hatch Chile Peppers cut in half lengthwise and seeded
Hatch Chile Relleno Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions minced
- 8-10 slices pre-cooked chopped bacon reserve some for garnish
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese reserve some for garnish
- Fold the cream cheese, pepper jack, chili powder, cilantro, green onions and bacon together. Make sure the chili powder is incorporated. Reserve some of the green onions and bacon for garnish, if desired.
- Fill the cream cheese into the pepper “boats,” coating evenly from top to bottom. Top each Hatch Chile with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Set grill to medium, or 350 F. Place the peppers on the grill.
- Close the lid and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until filling is bubbling and the bottom of the chiles are charred.
- Garnish with additional bacon bits and minced green onions.