Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
This easy turkey shepherds pie recipe gets its rich flavor from tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and chopped fresh rosemary. Before beginning this recipe, prepare a batch of garlic mashed potatoes and keep on hand. You’ll need this for topping the pie.
A traditional recipe for shepherds pie calls for ground lamb, but we use ground turkey for a healthier turkey shepherds pie. For a chicken shepherds pie, use ground chicken, and for a shepherd’s pie beef version, use ground beef.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (plus a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 ½ lbs. ground turkey (may use beef or minced lamb)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup beef stock or broth
- 2 cups green peas
- 1 prepared batch garlic mashed potatoes
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, diced celery stalks, diced carrots and minced garlic.
- Saute until vegetables are softened somewhat, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, stir, and then add ground turkey.
- Cook turkey until browned.
- Next, stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Stir again, and then mix in the green peas.
- When most of the liquid has cooked off, spoon the mixture into four 16 ounces ramekins, leaving about 1 inch of space. (You can also use a standard 13x9 casserole dish for a family-style meal.)
- Top with the prepared garlic mashed potatoes and spread evenly.
- Garnish each ramekin serving with 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese. Or, if serving in a casserole dish, garnish the entire topping with desired amount of grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the potato topping looks golden brown.
- Top each serving with a sprig of fresh rosemary and enjoy!
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com