Imagine this: a cozy winter evening in London, the aroma of slow-cooked goodness wafting through the house, and a plate piled high with tender, melt-in-your-mouth lamb shanks nestled in a rich, red wine sauce. Sounds like a dream, right? Well, dream no more! This recipe for Braised Lamb Shanks with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce is about to turn your culinary dreams into reality.
Recently, while visiting my wife’s family in London, we were treated to this very dish. As the warm, comforting flavors swirled around me, I knew I had to recreate this magic in my own kitchen. So, after much pleading to my wife’s cousin, here I am, sharing it with you!
This recipe isn’t just about delicious food; it’s about creating memories and sharing them with loved ones. The slow-cooking process allows the flavors to meld and deepen, resulting in a dish that’s not only incredibly flavorful but also incredibly satisfying. And the best part? It’s surprisingly easy to make!
A Legacy of Comfort: History of Braised Lamb Shanks
Braising, the slow-cooking method at the heart of this recipe, has been around for centuries, used to transform tougher cuts of meat into tender, flavorful masterpieces. Lamb shanks, with their inherent richness and collagen content, are particularly well-suited to this technique. The result? Fall-off-the-bone perfection that will leave you wanting more.
How to Serve Braised Lamb Shanks
This dish is the perfect entree for an intimate Easter meal. The sauce comes together quickly, thanks to a stock made with Knorr lamb stock cubes, which are available on Amazon and at some grocery stores. Serve on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes with a side of sautéed carrots and Brussels sprouts.
Ready for more Culinary Adventures?
Head over to my YouTube channel for video demonstrations of more than 300 recipes! I’ll guide you through each step, sharing tips and tricks, and revealing insider secrets gleaned from the chefs around the world. Let’s embark on more delicious adventures together! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and X!
Braised Lamb Shanks with MushroomsRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 4 Lamb Shanks
- 2 tbsp plain flour seasoned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 ounces baby onions peeled
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 10 ounces red wine
- 10 ounces lamb stock made from a cube
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mashed potatoes
- Steamed brussels sprouts
- Sauteed carrots
- Toss the lamb shanks in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and cook the onions for 4-5 minutes, until they start to colour. Add the garlic and mushrooms and fry for a further 3-4 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the lamb shanks to the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes, turning occasionally until browned all over.
- Return the mushrooms and onions to the pan and pour in wine and stock.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on a low heat for 1 hour until the sauce has thickened and the lamb is cooked through.
- Season to taste and stir in the parsley. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.