Inspired by a delicious seafood restaurant I discovered on the Hawaiian Islands, this macadamia crusted mahi mahi recipe is served with a lemon and caper butter sauce and rice pilaf. This dish makes a beautiful presentation for a dinner party.
Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi
- 4 mahi mahi filets or other firm fish like halibut
- 3 cups Panko Japanese bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 3 eggs whisked well
- 1/4 cup coconut milk optional
- 1 cup flour as needed
- Olive oil for frying
Lemon Caper Sauce
- 1/4 cup chardonnay wine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 pound unsalted butter
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
Make the Sauce
- Heat wine, parsley, chives, onions and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat until you reduce the liquid by half. Add the heavy cream to the mixture and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. With a wire whisk, add softened butter in small amounts to wine reduction, whisking rapidly. Pour liquid through a fine strainer and then season with salt. Hold at room temperature.
- Just before serving, stir in the capers and additional lemon juice.
Prepare the Fish
- Place macadamia nuts in a ziploc bag and crush lightly with a mallet. Season mahi filets with salt and pepper, or marinate in my lemon-herb marinade.
- Mix together nuts, panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
- Get three shallow containers. Place egg-coconut milk mixture in one container, 1 cup flour in another container, and the panko mixture in the third container.
- Using one dry hand and one wet hand, coat each fish filet in the flour followed by the egg wash and panko crumbs. Pack well and set on a clean plate.
- When all the fish has been coated, heat a skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry fish approximately 5 minutes on each side on medium-high heat. Do not overcook.
- Serve with rice pilaf, sauteed bok choy and top with the lemon butter caper sauce.