This rich Irish chicken soup recipe – also known as “Skink” — is perfect for a fall evening. Inspired by a recipe I found in the Complete Irish Pub cookbook, this dish makes use of fresh summer vegetables like carrots, green onions, leeks and butter lettuce.
You an easily adapt this recipe for any season by switching out the vegetables, or using spinach leaves instead of lettuce.
Irish Chicken Soup
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup cooked diced chicken
- 1/2 cup dried peas
- 4 small green onions sliced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 small leek halved and sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 butter lettuce leaves sliced
- Salt and white pepper
- Add the stock, celery, carrots, leeks and bay leaf to a large stock pot. Add salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Add the peas, chicken and green onions and simmer until peas are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Beat yolk and cream, and stir into soup.
- Reheat soup, then into serving bowls. Top with lettuce and enjoy.