Have you ever wondered how to roast beets? I’ve been doing it for years in the restaurant, and this method was taught to me by my good friend, and late chef Homaru Cantu of Moto.
This roasted beets recipe comes together quickly with just three ingredients — fresh beets, kosher salt and olive oil. Use these in my roasted beet salad with goat cheese. You can also saute the fresh beet greens for a delicious and healthy side dish.
Roasted BeetsRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 6-7 beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Trim up beets, removing leaves and bottom of root.
- Transfer to colander and rinse well to remove dirt. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Add to a mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Mix well with your hands, coating the beets.
- Sprinkle with a very generous amount of kosher salt and mix again.
- Place beets on sheet pan. Top beets with a generous amount of salt again.
- Place in oven for 1 hour. The salt should be crusty and beets will be juicy.
- Once beets are cooled, cut off the salted skin and discard.
- Cube up the beets and serve in your favorite salad, such as my beet salad with goat cheese and papayas.