This French Onion Soup recipe is classic comfort food, made with sweet onions, a rich beef broth and fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme.
Also known as Onion Soup Gratinee, this classic soup is topped with homemade croutons and a blend of gooey parmesan and Swiss cheese for the ultimate winter meal.
Serve this with a nice glass of wine and light salad for the perfect weeknight meal.
French Onion Soup Recipe
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups beef stock or broth
- 3 large sweet onions peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic puree
- 1-2 cups homemade croutons
- 1/2 cup sherry wine optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup Swiss cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- In a large saucepot over medium-low heat, add 4 ounces butter. When melted down, add sliced onions and stir well. Cover and stir occasionally until well incorporated and the onions start to soften. Cover and stir again after 10 minutes. Cover and stir after another 10 minutes.
- Add rosemary, thyme and garlic. Mix well.
- Deglaze pot with sherry wine, stirring bits of onion from the bottom of the pot. Add the broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and ladle into individual crocks. Top with croutons (or thick pieces of toasted sourdough) and top with grated cheese.
- Place into the broiler until the cheese just starts to melt. Serve immediately.