This healthy Orange Chicken recipe is based on the popular dish you’ll find on practically every Chinese menu. But why buy Chinese delivery, when you can make it easily at home? Now I know the most popular orange chicken is fried, but I think it’s a lot tastier and healthier as a saute. So that’s how we’re doing it today!
Healthy Orange ChickenRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
Chef Jason Hill prepares a healthy Orange Chicken recipe in this episode of "Chef Tips." Orange Chicken is famous here in California, where you'll find it on practically every Chinese menu. But why buy Chinese delivery, when you can make it easily at home? Now I know the most popular orange chicken is fried, but I think it's a lot tastier and healthier as a saute.
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes use less if you don’t like it spicy
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 10 tablespoons brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons white vinegar
- Orange zest from 2 oranges
- Mix together ingredients for orange sauce. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok over high heat. Add minced ginger and garlic, stirring about 30 seconds. Add chicken to wok and cook.
- Next add the dried red chiles and chopped green onion. Saute again, then pour in the rice wine.
- Add orange sauce to wok and stir well.
- Make a slurry with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Add to wok and stir until sauce thickens. Before serving, stir in sesame oil and grated orange zest. Serve over steamed brown rice.
Let’s get cooking!Join me @cheftips on Facebook & Instagram
Watch My Video
Check out my Cooking Videos!Subscribe to my Chef Tips channel on YouTube!