This easy French Pumpkin Soup recipe uses just a few simple ingredients: one pumpkin, half and half, seasoned croutons and Gruyere cheese. It is layered and placed in the oven to form a deliciously thick French pumpkin soup. It’s perfect for your Thanksgiving or Halloween party.
French Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere CheeseRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 3 pound pumpkin
- 6 ounces onion-garlic seasoned croutons
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese or more as needed
- 1 quart half and half
- Fresh tarragon (or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut lid on top of washed pumpkin large enough for a ladle. Remove fibers and seeds from inside.
- Layer inside of pumpkin with handfuls of croutons and layers of grated cheese. Finally, top with half and half, almost to the top. Season with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Add a sprig of fresh tarragon (or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon) and place lid on pumpkin.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 1 1/2 hours at 350 F. When pumpkin is ready, stir with a spoon, scraping bits of pumpkin meat into the soup. Mixture should be thick.