This vegetarian chili is full of flavor and perfect for a party. It’s chock-full of so many healthy ingredients — including kidney beans, garbanzo beans, green zucchini and yellow squash.
To make this in your slow cooker, saute your vegetables and then add all of the ingredients to your crockpot. Cook the chili on low for about 4 hours, or until ready to serve. If you still want a meaty texture, try adding a taco-flavored soy product.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 white onions chopped
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green zucchini chopped
- 1 yellow squash chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 28 ounces organic crushed tomatoes
- 5 plum or Roma tomatoes diced
- 30 ounces garbanzo beans cooked and drained
- 30 ounces kidney beans cooked and drained
- 1 small bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Sour cream, grated cheese, green onions, fresh sliced jalapeños for serving
- To begin the vegetarian chile, dice and chop all of your ingredients and have them ready to go.
- Preheat large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the pot. Heat and add onion, bell pepper, garlic, zucchini and squash. Stir and saute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano and stir.
- Add crushed tomatoes, fresh chopped tomatoes, followed by your garbanzo and kidney beans. Stir, then add the chopped parsley and lime juice.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, place into bowls and garnish with sour cream, grated cheese, green onions and fresh sliced jalapenos.