My copycat Crazy Coyote Taco recipe comes impressively close to the real deal! Chicken thighs or breasts are slow-cooked in a rich chipotle adobo sauce. Then, they’re placed on a gooey cheese tortilla with chopped onions and cilantro. Trust me — you’ll need plenty of napkins to go with this!
Crazy Coyote Tacos is one of Southern California’s most revered roadside restaurants. Even Anthony Bourdain was a massive fan. We’ve been trying to duplicate the recipe for years. I think we finally nailed it.
The secret to this Crazy Coyote Taco recipe is to stew your bone-in chicken breasts in a mixture of spices and chipotle chiles, with a smidge of chipotle sauce for good measure. Then, make sure you place it on some really big tortillas, and ladle that saucy goodness on the taco, topped with a plentiful helping of chopped onions, cilantro, sour cream and shredded cheese.
If you want to visit Crazy Coyote Tacos and see how this recipe compares, they are located at 13033 Malki Road, Banning. Give them a call at (951) 849-2000.
Crazy Coyote Tacos Video
Stay in Touch!
Never miss a new cooking video by subscribing here. Don’t forget to hit that notification bell! You can also find me on Facebook and Instagram!
More Easy Taco Recipes
- Navajo Fry Bread Tacos
- Ruddell’s Smoked Salmon Tacos
- Mexican Street Tacos
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Crazy Coyote Taco Recipe
- Double Decker Tacos
- Chicken Tacos Al Carbon
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Crazy Coyote Taco Recipe (Copycat)Recipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 3 half-breast bone-in chicken pieces patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
For the Crazy Coyote Taco Assembly:
- Large flour or corn tortillas
- Chopped onion and cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- Measure and chop all of your ingredients before beginning.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown chicken on both sides. Transfer to a platter.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the Dutch Oven and saute the chopped onions until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chipotle and adobo sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pot occasionally.
- Return the reserved chicken to the Dutch Oven and tomato mixture and lower to medium-low heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, flipping chicken occasionally.
- Transfer chicken to a platter or large casserole dish.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a blender and pulse for 30 seconds. Return the sauce to your Dutch Oven.
- Shred the chicken into bite-size pieces, and then return chicken to the Dutch Oven with the sauce.
- Cook the chicken and sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and everything is combined, roughly 10 minutes.
- Stir in lime zest, juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble the Crazy Coyote Tacos
- Brown the flour tortillas over a hot flame on your stove.
- Place shredded cheddar or Jack cheese on the bottom of the tortilla and melt in microwave.
- Top the cheesy tortilla with the chicken, onion and cilantro. Add sour cream and guacamole if desired.
CookingSessions.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.