This Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce recipe was among our first videos when we started YouTube, way back in 2007. This healthy recipe uses cauliflower puree as the base, cutting down on the fat and calories.
Instead of loading up on butter and cream, you use mashed cauliflower to thicken and flavor the sauce. It’s a great way to sneak vegetables into your family’s meal plan, and our kids cannot taste the difference! Honest!
Cauliflower is rich in nutrients and anti-cancer properties, so you can’t go wrong.
Cauliflower Alfredo SauceRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree or 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Salt and white pepper to your taste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth heated (up to 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoon minced Italian parsley for garnish
- Optional additions:
- Sauteed sliced mushrooms
- Grilled chicken slices
- Parmesan tuiles
- Wash cauliflower and cut off the florets, discarding the main stem.
- Boil cauliflower florets in rapidly boiling water for about 20 minutes, or until extremely soft. Drain and set aside.
- While the cauliflower is boiling, make the alfredo sauce.
- Heat your sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter, and melt down.
- Next, add the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and garlic-shallot puree.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup cream. Bring to a simmer for about 1 minute, then add the grated parmesan cheese.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Place the drained cauliflower florets in a food processor. Add cream mixture and puree for a couple minutes.
- To thin out the sauce, add 1 1/2 cups of warmed chicken broth (or vegetable broth). You thin out the sauce more to your liking with another 1/2 cup of broth.
- Season to your taste with white pepper and salt.
- To serve, toss the sauce with fresh cooked and drained fettucine. Use whole wheat pasta for an even healthier version.
- Top with minced Italian parsley and serve. For an extra treat, top the pasta with grilled chicken and a parmesan tuile.