I traveled to the North Shore of Oahu to sample one of Hawaii’s greatest treats — the chocolate haupia pie recipe from Ted’s Bakery. This little market in Sunset Beach is a favorite hangout for locals who can’t get enough of this tropical pie, topped with coconut haupia custard, plenty of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
To make this recipe, you’ll need a nice flaky baked pie crust. You can buy one at the store, or use my easy pie crust recipe. I personally think it’s the best chocolate pie ever!
Chocolate Haupia Pie RecipeRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 baked 10-inch homemade pie crust or use store-bought
- In a measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch into 1 cup of water and let it dissolve. This is your cornstarch slurry, which will thicken the haupia custard.
- Over medium heat, bring 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup of sugar and 14 ounces of coconut milk to a boil. Reduce the heat on the milk to a simmer and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Now, we stir continuously until it thickens up.
- In a saucepan, melt 7 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in half of the coconut mixture.
- Top the baked pie crust with the chocolate pie filling, then add the layer of reserved Hawaiian coconut haupia custard on top. Refrigerate this for one hour.
- Whisk the whipped cream until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the pie from the refrigerator. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and serve immediately.