This chocolate haupia pie recipe is inspired from Ted’s Bakery, one of the North Shore’s hidden gems. This little market in Sunset Beach is a favorite hangout for locals who can’t get enough of this tropical pie, topped with coconut haupia custard, plenty of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
To make this recipe, you’ll need a nice flaky baked pie crust. You can buy one at the store, or use my easy pie crust recipe. Feel free to add more or less chocolate vs. haupia filling to your likingI personally think it’s the best chocolate pie ever!
❤️ Why you’ll love it
- The mixture of coconut, chocolate and whipped cream is heavenly.
- The recipe is inspired by one of Hawaii’s most beloved bakeries.
- It comes together quickly thanks to a store-bought pie crust.
These are the main ingredients, and the quantities can be found in the recipe card below.
- Coconut Milk
- Semisweet Chocolate
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pie Crust
👨🍳 Chef Tips
Don’t substitute anything for the pure vanilla extract and homemade whipped cream. They are key to this recipe. Remember, always use the best quality ingredients to make your desserts shine!
😋 More Delicious Desserts
If you make this Chocolate Haupia Pie, please leave me a comment and rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. You can also find me on Instagram, YouTube, X, Facebook or Tik Tok. Send me a photo if you prepare this dish and I’ll share it on social media!
Chocolate Haupia Pie RecipeRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 baked 10-inch homemade pie crust or use store-bought
- In a measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch into 1 cup of water and let it dissolve. This is your cornstarch slurry, which will thicken the haupia custard.
- Over medium heat, bring 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup of sugar and 14 ounces of coconut milk to a boil. Reduce the heat on the milk to a simmer and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Now, we stir continuously until it thickens up.
- In a saucepan, melt 7 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in half of the coconut mixture.
- Top the baked pie crust with the chocolate pie filling, then add the layer of reserved Hawaiian coconut haupia custard on top. Refrigerate this for one hour.
- Whisk the whipped cream until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the pie from the refrigerator. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and serve immediately.