Tired of the same old bacon and eggs for breakfast? Why not spruce up your morning with a hearty meal of huevos rancheros?
This Mexican huevos rancheros recipe offers an unusual break from traditional American fare, and is sure to satisfy even the biggest appetites. It’s chock full of healthy and delicious ingredients such as fresh chopped tomatoes, refried pinto beans, avocado and cilantro leaves.
We’re topping them on some homemade corn tortillas with free-range eggs poached in my green tomatillo sauce.
Huevos Rancheros with Tomatillo Sauce
- 2 cups green tomatillo sauce
- 2 organic brown eggs
- 1 cup refried beans heated
- 2 corn tortillas handmade style preferred
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 avocado cut into slices
- Minced cilantro
- Sour cream if desired
- Heat 2 cups of the green tomatillo sauce over medium-high heat.
- Crack eggs into sauce and cook until poached to your liking.
- In a separate pan, lightly fry 2 corn tortillas in about 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- Place tortillas on plate. Spoon hot refried beans over each tortilla.
- Top with the eggs, chopped green onion, sliced avocado and some minced cilantro for garnish. Add additional sauce over the Mexican huevos rancheros, if desired.