These delicious Koloa Rum Cake Bundtinis are made with a moist yellow cake batter, then soaked with a spiced rum & sugar glaze.
My wife and I discovered these delicious mini rum bundt cakes on Kauai while celebrating our 30th anniversary. They sold them at the Koloa Rum Company Store and Tasting Room in Lihue, and we just had to duplicate them at home.
If you don’t have Koloa Rum, any rum will do, but make sure it’s a good enough quality you’d drink on its own. We’ve also made this with great success using Kraken Black Spiced Rum.
We based our mini rum cake recipe on our old stand-by from a vintage Bacardi Rum cookbook. We usually prepare it in a large Bundt pan, which can you certainly do, but I think it’s more fun to prepare them in individual bundt cake pans like the ones pictured below. The addition of chopped pecans in this rum cake recipe makes it so much more delicious!
If you ever find yourself in Kauai, be sure to stop by the Koloa Rum Tasting Room. All of their rum tastings are free, and held on the hour beginning at 10 a.m. If you want to beat the crowds, be sure to come early, as they can only take 20 people at a time.
Afterward, you can browse the gift shop and pick up some of their famous Koloa Rum Cake Bundtinis, which are made locally by the Kauai Kookie Company. The main ingredients in their Koloa Rum Cake are sugar, enriched wheat flour, water, canola oil, Koloa Rum, eggs, butter and baking soda.
We thoroughly love visiting Kauai, and touring the Koloa Rum Company is a definite highlight. If you have the chance, you should definitely check them out!
Did I mention it’s FREE?
If you like this recipe, please subscribe to our Youtube channel and click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video!
You may also enjoy this Jamaican Rum Cake, or any of my other dessert recipes!
Koloa Rum Cake BundtinisRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 15.25 oz. moist yellow cake mix
- 3 3/4 oz. vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Koloa Kaua'i Spice Rum
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Koloa Kaua'i Spice Rum
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Blend all of the cake ingredients in a Kitchen Aid or hand mixer for 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides to incorporate the flour.
- Grease and flour two 4-cake mini Bundt pans, or one large Bundt pan. Sprinkle pecans over bottom of each cake mold.
- Fill each mini bundt mold about half full.
- Bake bundtinis for about 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. If using a regular bundt pan, cook for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Wait for cakes to cool before inverting on to a serving plate.
Make the Glaze:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Using a toothpick or wooden skewer, gently poke holes into the top of each cake. Pour warm glaze over each cake. Let set a few hours, allowing the glaze to soak into the cakes.
(3) 3/4 oz. Pudding box or 3.75 oz box? -for single batch –
Hello! We use one small 3.75 oz. box of pudding. Hope you enjoy the recipe!