Hey guys! Just sharing an awesome Hawaiian fried chicken recipe, also known as Mochiko Chicken, which we enjoyed at Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina, Maui in Hawaii! This dish uses small bite-sized pieces of chicken thighs, which are marinated in a batter and fried until golden brown. Serve with macaroni salad and steamed white rice for the real deal!
Mochiko ChickenRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 1 pound chicken thighs deboned and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup Mochiko Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree or 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons GoJuJang or Sriricha hot sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Firecracker Sauce recipe below
- Chopped fresh chives
- Sriracha hot sauce
- Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons of sriracha hot sauce or GoJuJang hot sauce
- In a bowl, add rice flour, corn starch, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add water, keep whisking. Add soy sauce, rice wine, grated ginger and garlic-shallot puree, and Korean gochujang. Mix well.
- Slowly pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add chicken pieces into batter and coat well. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Make up the firecracker sauce. Mix the mayonnaise with the Sriracha sauce, to your taste.
- Drop battered chicken into a deep fryer or a pan filled with hot canola oil and fry until golden brown.
- Serve with macaroni salad, rice and drizzle with a topping of the firecracker sauce, sesame seeds and chives if desired.