One of the my favorite all-time summer meals is this tangy lemon grilled shrimp recipe. It’s marinated in a delicious citrusy herb sauce and topped with melted butter.
The lemon-herb marinade is great for all sorts of seafood. It can be tweaked toward Italian or Mexican flavors, depending on your choice of herbs.
After making the grilled shrimp marinade, place five shrimp on six pre-soaked skewers and marinate no more than 30 minutes.
Serve this dish with fresh grilled vegetables, such as fire-roasted artichokes. A scoop of cilantro-lime rice is the perfect compliment to freshly grilled seafood.
Lemon-Herb Grilled ShrimpRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 30 shrimp size U-21 or bigger
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 6 wooden skewers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree or crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, parsley or tarragon roughly chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1/8 cup white wine optional
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic shallot puree or 1 clove minced garlic
- Soak wooden skewers in water for about 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the zest (outer yellow peel from the lemon). Next, cut the lemon in half and add lemon juice to a mixing bowl. Add the wine, chopped herbs and lemon zest, followed by the garlic. Slowly pour the olive oil into the marinade and whisk quickly until it starts to thicken. When the marinade has thickened, let it sit about 30 minutes and then pour it over your meat.
Prepare the Shrimp
- Thaw shrimp under cold water or in the refrigerator. Place five shrimp on each skewer, moving through the tail first, and then the head area.
- Place shrimp skewers in the marinade for 30 minutes, turning halfway.
- In the meantime, prepare the garlic butter by melting 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepot with the chopped parsley and garlic puree. Cook 1-2 minutes until it bubbles and remove from heat.
- Grill shrimp on the grill or barbecue for roughly 2 minutes each side, being careful of any flare-ups, which can burn the shrimp quickly. After turning once, brush with the melted garlic butter. Serve.