This delicious country gravy goes well with buttermilk biscuits, or served on top of a country fried steak!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups whole milk or more if needed
- Heat a saucepot over medium heat and melt down the butter.
- Drop in the sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon, cooking until it's browned and crumbly.
- After 5 minutes, stir in the flour, pepper and cayenne. Mix well for another 2 minutes, incorporating the flour into the sausage.
- Drop heat to medium-heat and slowly whisk in the milk to make the gravy and avoid any lumps. Whisk for about 5 minutes, or until the gravy is your desired consistency. You can add a bit more milk if you want to thin it out.
- Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over my biscuits for an awesome country biscuits and gravy!