Today I’ll show you how to make bacon wrapped scallops on the grill — or in the oven — for a simple and delicious appetizer or meal! This recipe was inspired by Morton’s Steakhouse, where we recently enjoyed dinner with some of our YouTube friends.
This can be served as an appetizer in smaller portions, or as a main course. The key to elevating this bacon wrapped scallops recipe is by making a delicious horseradish & apricot jam sauce, then topping the scallops with a sherry wine pan jus.
To ensure the bacon and scallops are cooked evenly, partook your bacon in the microwave for about 3 minutes so they are softened.
Bacon Wrapped ScallopsRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 6 large scallops
- 6 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup apricot jam or preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Dash of sea salt
- 2-4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1/4 cup sherry cooking wine optional
- First, parcook your bacon in the microwave for a couple minutes. Place on a plate covered with paper towel, and check after about 3 minutes.
- For the sauce, mix the horseradish, apricot jam, and fresh cracked pepper. Whisk up until well combined. Set aside for the flavors to meld.
- Remove the tough muscle from each scallop. Next, wrap each scallop with a piece of partially cooked bacon.
- Place a skewer through each bacon wrapped scallop, with three per skewer.
- Drizzle the scallops with clarified butter on both sides.
- Preheat a saute pan on high. Add more clarified butter. Sear each side of the scallop/bacon skewers for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, it should have a nice color.
- Place the saute pan in a 500 degree oven, or put the pan on your top shelf of a 500 degree grill. Close the lid and cook another 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry wine. Reserve the pan juices.
- Serve the scallop skewers with the horseradish-apricot sauce and drizzle with the sherry wine pan sauce.