This turkey chili recipe, from my best friend’s mom Detsi Moore, is clearly more healthy than the ground beef version, but you’ll never know the difference! You can make turkey chili in the crock pot (slow cooker turkey chili) by first sauteing the vegetables and ground turkey, and then putting it in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours.
- 1.2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic-shallot puree, or 2-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups cooked (or 30 ounces canned) red kidney beans
- 29 ounces organic diced tomatoes with juice
- 30 ounces organic tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional for heat
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in about 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Cook about 2 minutes. Add the lean ground turkey and mix to combine.
- When the turkey starts to brown, add the cumin, chili powder, jalapenos and garlic-shallot puree.
- After 5 minutes, add the tomatoes, sauce and kidney beans. Simmer until cooked.
- Top with green onions, shredded cheese and sour cream.
Recipe from CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com