This Dr. Pepper Chicken recipe is a unique take on the traditional beer can chicken, complete with a sweet and savory sauce made with the soda.
I’ve partnered with Kingsford & Dr Pepper to create a grill gating recipe that’s perfect for the college football season.
Dr. Pepper Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 cans tomato paste 5.5 oz. each
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup soft light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 cans Dr. Pepper
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Turn on burner to medium low. Add stock pot. Add 2 sticks butter. Melt down. Stir in 2 diced white onions. Add 1 Tb. Garlic-shallot puree, or 4 cloves garlic. Let onions cook until soft. Add 4 tsp. Chili powder and mix to combine. Cook down for a couple minutes. Stir in 12 oz. Tomato paste, 2 tsp. White pepper and kosher salt, 1 cup red wine vinegar, 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup light brown sugar and 2 cans of Dr. Pepper. Turn up heat, leave uncovered until it reduces, about 45 minutes or so. Blend with an immersion blender to make into a smooth consistency. Taste for seasoning. Set a small amount of sauce aside to use as a barbecue sauce once the chicken is done.
- While sauce is reducing, prep the chicken. Coat with a little olive oil. Season with your favorite dry rub, and coat well. You can put some dry rub underneath the skin as well.
- Start up your charcoal or gas grill. Open a can of Dr. Pepper and place on your beer can chicken stand. Top with the seasoned chicken.
- After cooking about 30 minutes, glaze the chicken with the Dr. Pepper Sauce. Glaze occasionally until chicken is done about 1 hour and 40 minutes. Serve with additional Dr. Pepper Sauce, if desired.
This video has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. You can pick up the Kingsford & Dr Pepper, and most of these ingredients at Walmart.