This blue cheese steak recipe comes together quickly with just a few ingredients. All you need is a thick cut of your favorite steak, about 1/4 crumbled blue cheese and 3 slices of an onion!
Blue Cheese SteakRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 1 New York cut steak about 1-2 inches thick
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea or kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 4-5 onion slices
- Using a paring knife, make a slit in the side of the steak. Lay the steak on its side and form a pocket for the cheese. Leave the opening as small as possible.
- Stuff your steak with about 1/4 cup of crumbled blue cheese. Season with about 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkling of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. Cook steak about 2-3 minutes each side to get a nice sear on it.
- Lay the steak on a bed of sliced onions. This will help keep the steak from burning, and you'll have caramelized onions to top on the steak.
- Set in 500 F oven for about 8 minutes. Check after 5 minutes. Use an all metal pan.
- Let the steak rest, setting it up on its side so the cheese doesn’t ooze out. Stir the onions in the pan to get them caramelized a bit more.
- Optional: Add grilled mushrooms with the onions if you like!