One of my favorite Spanish tapas recipes is patatas bravas. This delicious Spanish dish is made with fried potato wedges. It’s topped with a spicy brava sauce made with smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, onions and tomato paste.
On restaurant menus, this dish is also known as potatoes bravas, papas bravas or brava potatoes. My patatas bravas recipe is made by roasting yukon gold potatoes in a cast iron pan, then topping it with a spicy paprika sauce and fried egg.
Though it’s popular as an appetizer for tapas, I highly recommend serving this for breakfast or brunch! It’s a real crowd pleaser.
Patatas BravasRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 2 pounds small red and gold potatoes cut in halves or quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to your taste
Patatas Bravas Sauce
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic or 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
Make the Sauce
- Over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste.
- After 5 minutes, add bay leaf, smoked paprika, cayenne and flour. Mix well until incorporated.
- Whisk in chicken stock until it comes back to a boil.
- Set to simmer about 10 minutes, or until it slightly thickens. Remove bay leaf.
- Blend in blender or food processor until smooth.
Prepare the Potatoes
- Wash potatoes, and cut into even sizes. Toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place in 400 F oven in single layer, roast for about 1 hour. Turn once after 30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven when nice and crispy. Add potatoes to sauce and heat over medium heat. Season with pepper and salt to your taste.
- Serve potatoes topped with a fried egg, and add more sauce on top. Enjoy!
Watch My Video
Be sure to watch my video on how it’s made!