These Chipotle Barbacoa Burritos are one of my favorite Mexican dishes. We start out with a beef chuck roast, which is seared on a pan and then slow cooked to perfection. The secret to this beef barbacoa’s flavor is in the sauce, which includes smoky chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, cumin and a splash of lime juice.
Although we’re putting the barbacoa mixture in burritos, you can also serve this on its own, or in a bowl topped with chopped onion, cilantro, cheese and guacamole. This would also taste amazing as a topping on nachos!
Watch the video to see how it’s made, and print the recipe below!
Beef Chipotle Barbacoa BurritosRecipe by Jason Hill – CookingSessions.com
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast trimmed of some fat and cut into 4-5 pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 7 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Blend sauce ingredients in a blender.
- Remove fat from roast.
- Put oil in pan. Sear steak on both sides.
- Add beef to slow cooker. Top with bay leaves. Pour sauce over.
- Set on high cook setting for 6 hours.
- After about 5 hours, shred the meat in the cooker. Mix up with the sauce and let cook another hour in the slow cooker.
- After 6 hours, add juice from 1/2 lime and season to taste.
- Serve in tortillas with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream.