This tasty Mexican adobo dry rub is perfect for all types of meat, poultry, fish and vegetables. Just coat all sides of your favorite cut of meat, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. The next day, allow it to rest for 30 minutes, then put it on the smoker or grill.
Adobo Dry Rub Recipe
- 4 dried chiles 2 New Mexico and 2 Guajillo
- 1 tsp pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black peppercorn
- 2 tb whole cumin
- 2 tb fennel
- 2 tb mustard seed
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tb kosher salt
- 1 tb. Brown sugar optional
- Remove the stem and dump out the seeds from the dried chiles.
- Preheat pan on high. Toast the chiles breaking them up with your hands.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the salt and brown sugar (if using). Stir for a couple minutes with a wooden spoon to bring out the flavor.
- Remove from the heat. Add the salt.
- Transfer to a spice mill or coffee grinder and blend. You may have to work in batches.