Vegetable Strudel Recipe
This vegetable strudel is placed on a bed of red pepper sauce for a delicious vegetarian meal. Photo by Veronica Hill.
Now that spring is here, many gardeners are beginning to plant their favorite vegetables in the garden. This is a terrific vegetable strudel recipe that makes use of fresh carrots, squash, peppers and herbs. Feel free to use your favorite vegetables as substitutes in this recipe; it is very forgiving. The red bell pepper coulis is a sweet and tangy sauce that perfectly compliments the vegetables and delicate pastry crust.
Vegetable Strudel with Red Pepper Coulis
- 1 cup carrots, julienned and blanched
- 1 cup yellow squash, julienned and blanched
- 1 cup zucchini, julienned
- 1 cup yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 6 roasted garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shredded basil
- 5 large sheets phyllo
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Red Bell Pepper Coulis:
- 3 pounds red peppers, roasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 cup white wine
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Coulis: Sweat the peppers in olive oil until they are tender. Remove the peppers and puree.
- Reserve the oil used to sweat the peppers. Sweat the shallots in the reserved oil.
- Deglaze with the wine. Add the stock and reduce by half.
- Puree the sauce. Adjust seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce more on the stove if need- ed.
- Strudel: Combine all the vegetables with roasted garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and fold in basil.
- Stack the phyllo sheets, brushing them with melted butter and dust with bread crumbs between each layer.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly along one edge of the sheets. Roll sheets into a log.
- Brush the top with a little butter. With a serrated knife, score lines where you will cut the strudel after it is baked.
- Place seam-side down on a parchment or sprayed sheet pan and bake at 400 F about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slice the strudel and place in a pool of red bell pepper coulis.
Adapted from the CIA Cookbook
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com