Spicy Spinach Raita
This sautéed spicy spinach raita recipe gets its kick from spicy green chiles, which can be substituted with your favorite chile, or left out all together. At the end of cooking, add some creamy plain yogurt, which adds texture to the spinach and offers a distinctive Indian touch.
- 1 container nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 pound rinsed baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon mashed garlic
- 3 green chiles, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced white onion
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, for seasoning
- Olive oil, for pan
- Preheat large saute pan to medium high heat. Drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil in pan, followed by the butter. Melt it down.
- Stir in the diced onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and stir well. Add minced peppers.
- After 2 minutes, stir in the tomato paste. Add rinsed spinach in batches, stirring to cook it down. Having the wet leaves helps the spinach steam and cook down. Cover with a lid and let cook down for a few minutes.
- Remove lid and stir the spinach mixture. Let cool slightly. Add the Greek yogurt. Season with fresh cracked pepper and a couple pinches of kosher salt.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com