So excited to share this wood fired Pizza Margherita recipe on my new Green Mountain Grills pizza oven!
According to legend, the Pizza Margherita was named for the Queen of Italy, made to represent the colors of the national flag: the tomato (red), mozzarella (white) and basil (green).
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for my Wood Fired Pizza Margherita recipe. If you don’t have a wood-fired grill, you can cook this in your oven or grill on a pizza stone!
- 8 ounces pizza dough see recipe below or buy pre-made dough from Winco
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2-4 fresh basil leaves torn or left whole
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil mixed with 1/4 teaspoon garlic shallot puree
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups water
- 28 ounce San Marzano Italian tomatoes (canned) or fresh, peeled and stewed Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Prepare pizza dough (recipe below) and form into rounds. Brush with small amount of olive oil-garlic mixture. Top with small amount of pizza sauce (recipe below). Top with pieces of mozzarella, fresh parmesan, fresh basil.
- Pizza Sauce: Blend or crush with your hands and set aside for use on pizza.
- No Knead Pizza Dough: Once the dough has proofed overnight (roughly 18 hours) at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, form into six squares. Fold each of the four corners into the middle, flip over, and form into a ball. Let rest, covered with plastic wrap, then form into pizza rounds.