This video shows you how to make patatas bravas — a delicious brunch recipe I enjoyed at Tasty N Sons in Portland. Also known as potatoes bravas, or papas bravas, this recipe is made from roasting yukon gold potatoes in a cast iron pan, then topping it with a spicy paprika sauce and fried egg. If you’re looking for something different to serve for breakfast or brunch, this is it.
- For Potatoes:
- 2 pounds small red and gold potatoes, cut in halves or quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic or 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash potatoes, and cut into even sizes. Toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place in 400 F oven in single layer, roast for about 1 hour. Turn once after 30 minutes.
- Over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste.
- After 5 minutes, add bay leaf, smoked paprika, cayenne and flour. Mix well until incorporated.
- Whisk in chicken stock until it comes back to a boil.
- Set to simmer about 10 minutes, or until it slightly thickens. Remove bay leaf.
- Blend in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Remove potatoes from oven. Add potatoes to sauce and heat over medium heat. Season with pepper and salt to your taste.
- Serve potatoes topped with a fried egg, and add more sauce on top. Enjoy!
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com