If you’ve taken the time to properly use a knife, then you’re going to want to take the time to properly use a knife steel. Knife steels are sold separately, or they come in a knife set. I recommended a mid-ranged price knife steel for the home cook. The steel hones the blade, which means iIt basically straightens it out. You have microscopic teeth on your knife blade, and when you use it often, they become a little warped. The steel straightens it out and gives you a better cutting edge.
How to Use a Knife Steel
1. First you want to get a firm grip on the handle and make sure your thumb and finger are tucked underneath the guard.
2. Next, hold the steel out from your body at about a 45 degree angle. Take the knife and place the heel of the blade at the tip of the steel.
3. Come off and down the steel at a 20 degree angle. Go to the other side and repeat. Come all the way down.
4. Do this about 10 times each side. The more you practice, the faster you’ll get.
5. Some people place the steel onto a secure surface with the steel on a cloth and the handle held secure. They may think this is safer that holding it in your hand, but that’s why you have a guard.